Thumbtack gets hundreds of thousands of requests for lessons each year. It’s been pretty interesting to see that what people are looking to learn varies widely state-by-state. Here’s a snapshot:
- Tennis, anyone? – California ranks significantly higher than the national average for physical activity, with nearly twice as many lessons requests in active categories like tennis, swimming, and soccer.
- Hot yoga – Nobody loves the lotus position quite like folks in hot climates. Warmer cities like Miami, San Diego, and Los Angeles take it to the mat more than any other state with the highest number of requests for yoga teachers.
- Book lovers – People in D.C. are hitting the books. Residents were 60 percent more likely to request a tutor to prep for graduate school entrance exams.
- Just say neigh – Denver and Dallas may be modern urban centers, but they still tip their Stetsons to country and western as the two most popular cities for horseback riding lessons.
- Music and lyrics – Nashville may be known as “Music City,” but Salt Lake City’s musical inclinations are notable, with the highest demand for piano lessons and high rankings for guitar and voice lessons, as well.
- Turn the beat around – Miami and New York residents just wanna to dance: they requested salsa dancing lessons at twice the rate of the national average.
Nationwide, guitar, piano, cooking, and yoga lessons are universally the most popular Thumbtack lesson requests. But we were curious about what makes each state unique. So we looked at requests for our most popular lessons categories and determined which category a state requested at a rate that most stood out from the rate for that category nationally. These are the outlier requests in each state: