Thumbtack pros are expert packers. Whether they work for a moving company or own their own home organization business, our pros can save you the time and headache of doing it yourself. To get you started, we asked Thumbtack pros to provide their top tips for a successful packing experience.
1. Develop a logical labeling system. Work with your packing professional to ensure that the labeling system is logical and makes sense to you. Usually it’s sufficient to label the room where the items will go, along with a brief description of the contents.
2. Give your pro an inventory list. Ensure that your pro knows exactly what to pack (and what not to pack). Oftentimes, our customers hire pros to pack items like clothing and kitchenware. Customers usually pack valuables like jewelry and keepsakes themselves.
3. Ask about special crates. For special items like artwork and glass tabletops, crates are the safest transport option. Packing pros can usually build a special crate that fits the exact dimensions of your piece.
4. Use different size boxes. If you’re buying the boxes, make sure you get a variety of sizes. Bigger boxes are better for lightweight items, while smaller boxes are better for heavy items. This way, they’re easier to transport.
5. Fill each box to the brim. It’s important to make sure each and every box is full, otherwise your items will move around when they’re being transported. This could lead to broken items.